Pharmacology is a branch of medicine which deals with the study of drugs. It is mainly concerned with the clinical uses, effects and modes of action of drugs. Pharmacology is a bridging discipline between basic sciences and clinical sciences. Connection between a pharmacologist and a clinician is very helpful for the rational prescription and proper treatment of a disease. The Department of Pharmacology is one of the top preclinical departments in the province with excellent teaching facilities. It has produced tremendous results by securing first three positions multiple times in Pharmacology annual examination of the Khyber Medical University.
Besides being important in the development of new medications, pharmacological research has led to a better understanding of disease pathogenesis and progression. Moreover, as more medicines become available, the potential drug interactions as a result of polypharmacy and increasing use of complementary and alternative medicine by the patients have enhanced the importance of the subject of Pharmacology for the entire medical fraternity so that safer and least hazardous medical care can be provided to the patient.
The Department is entrusted with the responsibility to train the undergraduate students in scientifically based, rational and cost-effective use of drugs.
Currently the department is providing services to MBBS and BDS students.
Exclusively Departmental Research
- Problem based learning in comparison with lecture based learning among medical students. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association. 2015; 66(6):650-3.
- Comparative assessment of student’s academic performance in multiple choice questions versus short essay questions in Pharmacology examinations of a medical college of Pakistan. Journal of Rehman Medical Institute. 2015;1(2):23-28.
- Class attendance of Pharmacology students of Rehman Medical College as a determinant of academic performance. Journal of Rehman Medical Institute. 2017;3-4:14-20.
Faculty’s Research Papers
- Evaluation of Synergistic effect of cefuroxime and clavulanic acid agaist E. coli. Khyber Medical College Peshawar. Journal of Medical Sciences. 2005; 13(2):132-35.
- In vitro effect of clavulanic acid on the Antimicrobial activity of cefuroxime against β-Lactamase producing isolates of Proteus mirabilis. Journal of Medical Sciences. 2005: 13(1).
- Comparative Susceptibilities of Esherichia coli to ceftriaxone alone and in combination with Sulbactam. Pakistan Journal of Medical Research. 2005: 44(1).
- Evaluation of restoration in sensitivities of resistant Staphylococcus aureus, isolates by using cefuroxime and clavulanic acid in combination. Journal of Ayub Medical College. 2008; 20(2):28-30.
- Comparative Susceptibilities of β-lactamase producing isolates of Proteus mirabilis to ceftriaxone alone and in combination w3ith sulbactam. Journal of Postgarduate Medical Institute. 2008; 22(4):295-98.
- Comparative susceptibilities of Escherichia coli to ceftriaxone alone and in combination with clavulanic acid. Journal of Medical Sciences. 2009.
- Attenuation of erythrocytic acetyl cholinesterase by paracetamol and chloroquine: Evidence in an in vitro study. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutial sciences. 2014; 27(2):261-4.
- Anti-inflammatory effect of thymoquinone in comparison with methotrexate on pristane induced arthritis in rats. Journal of Pakistan Medical association. 2015; 65(5);519-25.
- Academic performance of day scholars versus boarders in pharmacology examinations of a medical school in Pakistan. Journal of Pakistan Medical association. 2016; 66(9):1094-97.
- Academic performance of male in comparison with female undergraduate medical students in Pharmacology examinations. Journal of Pakistan Medical association. 2017; 67(2):204-08.
- Antibiotic Use In Infants: A Cross-Sectional Survey Assessing the Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of Health Professionals. Professional Medical journal. 2017; 23(3): 371-75.
- Biological activities of commonly used medicinal plants from ghazi brotha, Attock district. Pakistan Journal of Botony. 2015; 47(1):113-20.
- Biological screening of indigenous knowledge based plants used in diarrheal treatment. Pakistan Journal of Botony. 2015; 45(4):1375-82.
- Chronic kidney and liver disease; assessment of prescribers’ knowledge regarding antibiotic prescription. Professional Medical journal. 2017;24(5):781-86.
- Comparative evaluation of thymoquinone and methotrexate in lung inflammation in murine model of rheumatiod arthritis. Journal of Postgarduate Medical Institute. 2015; 29(2):88-92.
- Comparison of academic performance of undergraduate medical students with and without preparatory leaves in the examinations of Basic sciences. Journal of Medical Sciences. 2017; 25(8):205-08.
- Comparison of the therapeutic effects of thymoquinone and methotrexate on renal injury in pristane induced arthritis in rats. Journal of college of Physician and Surgeon. 2015; 25(2):597-601.
- Coronary artery bypass grafting; vancomycin induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress in patients. Professional Medical journal. 2017; 24(11):1455-59.
- Creatine kinase-MB; comparison of creatine kinase-MB in male and female acute myocardial infarct patients before and after the treatment. Professional Medical journal. 2017; 24(3):422-25.
- Effect of Aloe Vera Whole Leaf Extract on Blood Glucose, Hyperinsulinemia, and Insulin Resistance in Streptozotocin Induced Type 2 Diabetic Rats. Monthly Forum. 2016; 26(12):41-45.
- Evaluation of the academic achievement of rural versus urban undergraduate medical students in pharmacology examinations. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction. 2017; 5(4):317-20.
- Knowledge, attitudes and practices of health professionals towards antibiotic use in pregnancy: a cross-sectional survey. Khyber Medical University Journal. 2018; 10(1);27-31.
- Low doses of pristane in comparison with high doses in induction of arthritis in female sprague-dawley rats. Khyber Medical University Journal. 2018; 8(4):185-88.
- Therapeutic and Adverse Effects of Commonly Used Medicinal Plants: Standardization and Quality Assurance. Proceedings of Pakistan Academy of Sciences. 2019;56(3):1-9.
- Efficacy of nitrates and calcium channel blocker in prevention of radial artery spasm during coronary angiographies. Pakistan Journal of Medical Research. 2018; 57(3).
- Acute toxicity and Analgesic activity of crude flavonoids of Achillia welhelmscii and Teucrium stockshianum. Khyber Medical University Journal. 2018; 8(1): 7-11.
- Well-equipped Lab
- Departmental Library
- Tutorial/seminar Room
- SLRC (Self Learning resource Center)
- Animal house
- Faculty & non faculty offices